In an effort to improve attendance and academic achievement, Lakewood High School is implementing Saturday School, a program designed for students who have unverified absences (truancies) or unexcused absences. By attending Saturday School your child will be able to make-up previously missed hours and avoid significant consequences for continued truancies (the School Attendance Review Board process.) Attendance is mandatory.
DATES FOR SATURDAY SCHOOL
October 8, 2016
November 5, 2016
December 3, 2016
December 10, 2016
January 21, 2017
February 25, 2017
March 11, 2017
March 25, 2017
April 1, 2017
May 13, 2017
May 20, 2017
June 3, 2017
- Student to arrive at 7:30 a.m., students who are late may not be admitted
- Student to meet under the 900 building
- Lunch will be provided – payment will be the same as a regular school day
- Students must remain at school for the full 4 hours (8 a.m. to 12 noon) to receive credit
- There is zero tolerance for misbehavior, defiance, and non-compliance of school rules; students will be released and no attendance credit will be given
- Completion of one Saturday School will clear 1 full day of an unverified absence
- Students who are assigned and do not attend may be referred to the SARB (School Attendance Review Board)
Students will participate in enrichment studies that include some or all of the following:
- Electronic Media Communication
- Leadership Styles, Time Management and Team Building
- Organizational Skills
- Career Exploration and Resume Writing
- Economics and Personal Finance
- Social Media in Today’s Society
- Research Skills including annotation
- Algebra and Geometry extension projects
- Socratic Seminars
- Time for study and homework (students can bring work)
Thank you for your support in your student’s school success, we hope that this experience will have a positive influence on your student’s attendance and work habits.
Participating in Saturday School
Parents, use ParentVue to check your student's attendance.
You may complete the form in the locker "Courtesy Notice for Saturday School" and return to the attendance office.
Saturday School is available for all students who have one or more full-day unverified absence.
Thanks for your support.